My dad makes amazing Pineapple Upside Down Cake! Now you can too with the recipe below. Check out the pictures and let me know about your favorite pineapple upside down cake.
With so many holidays coming good food like this has been on my mind…not to mention some good quality time with family.
Love you dad!
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 9 slices pineapple in juice (from 14-oz can), drained
- 9 maraschino cherries without stems, if desired
You can save the pineapple juice and use it in place of some of the water that you add to the cake mix
- Prepare a box of yellow cake mix following the directions on the box to mix the batter (do not bake in a separate pan; follow instructions below).
- Pour the batter over the pineapple and cherries.
- Heat oven to 350°F. In 9-inch square pan, melt butter in oven. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over melted butter. Arrange pineapple slices over brown sugar. Place cherry in center of each pineapple slice.
- In medium bowl,beat cake mix following the directions on the box and adding pineapple juice for some of the water if desired, with electric mixer on low speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl constantly. Beat on high speed 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally. Pour batter over pineapple and cherries.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Immediately place heatproof serving plate upside down over pan; turn plate and pan over. Leave pan over cake a few minutes so brown sugar mixture can drizzle over cake; remove pan. Serve warm. Store cake loosely covered.
Optional: Instead of using a cake mix, you can prepare the batter from scratch using the recipe below, or any recipe for yellow cake.
1 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk
Combine ingredients and beat 1 minute. Pour batter over pineapples and cherries (same as above). Bake at 350°F and follow same steps as above.